History

 

The organizational structure of the Faculty of the Machine Technology and Production Automation has been subjected to a number of changes. From 1945 to 1969 it was departmental structure which in the period of 1969-1992 was changed into the institutional structure. From 1992 it has been organized as the departmental structure with research and didactic teams.

 

FIRST PERIOD OF DEPARTMENTAL STRUCTURE (1945 – 1969)

 

In the first academic year after the end of World War II – 1945/46 two departments initiated their activities within the structures of Gdańsk University of Technology: Metal Working Machines Department and Metal Machining Department.  These departments are the historical predecessors of the current Department of Machine Technology and Production Automation.

 Metal Working Machines Construction Department was initiated by a renowned professor of Lviv University of Technology, Edward Tadeusz Geisler, PhD, Eng., Associate Professor, who also was the first head of the department. In 1956 Metal Working Machines Construction Department’s name was changed into Metal Working Machines Department and the position of the department’s head was taken by the following renowned professors: previously mentioned Edward Tadeusz Geisler, PhD, Eng., Associate Professor (1945-1960), Ryszard Siemiński, PhD, Eng., Associate Professor (1960-1963), Stanisław Horiszny, Senior Lecturer, MSc, Eng. (1963-1966) and Assistant Professor Andrzej Osiecki, PhD, Eng. (1966-1969). 

Metal Machining Department was organized by professor Leszek Eker, Eng., former Assistant Professor at Lviv University of Technology. As early as in 1946 the position of the department’s head was taken by Professor Włodzimierz Mermon, MSc, Eng.

In 1956 Metal Machining Department was divided into Metal Machining Department and Machine Construction Technology Department

The position of the head of the Metal Machining Department was taken, in turn, by:  Senior Lecturer Stanisław Horiszny, MSc, Eng. (1956 - 1961), Assistant Professor Franciszek Wójcik PhD, Eng. (1961 - 1964) and Assistant Professor Romuald Kolman. PhD, Eng. (1964 - 1969).

Machine Construction Technology Department was organized by Professor W. Mermon, MSc, Eng., until January 1959 he was also the head of the department. Professor Mermon was replaced at the office of the department head by Deputy Professor Stanisław Miłoś, MSc, Eng. He held the office until 1969 when the Institute for Machine Construction Technology was formed. 

In 1951 Woodworking Machine Construction Department headed by Associate Professor Ryszard Siemiński, PhD, Eng. was formed. Two years later, in 1953 the Department of Mechanical Wood Technology was formed. At first it was headed by Professor Mieczysław Janiczek, PhD, Eng. and then by Professor Romuald Dziewanowski, PhD, Eng.

 

 INSTITUTIONAL STRUCTURE (1969 – 1992)

 

In 1969 as a result of combining the departments, the Institute for Machine Construction Technology was formed. It was organized by Associate Professor Ryszard Siemiński, PhD, Eng. who was the first principal of the Institute in the period of 1969-1973. 

The position of the Institute principal in the period of 1973-1992 was held by Professor Mieczysław Feld. The Unit of Machine and Plastic Machining Technology was created within the Institute by Assistant Professor Tadeusz Burkiewicz, PhD, Eng. who was the first head of the unit. Among the subsequent deputies of the principal of the Institute the name of Assistant Professor Władysław Klimkiewicz, PhD, Eng. should be mentioned. Professor Klimkiewicz was also the head of the Woodworking Machines Unit.

 

  SECOND PERIOD OF THE DEPARTMENTAL STURCTURE (1992 – up till now)

 

In 1992, after combining the Faculty of Machine Technology and Manufacturing Process Planning with the Faculty of Machine Construction, Mechanical Engineering Faculty was formed. New faculty was given the departmental structure. The Machine Construction Technology Department in the period of 1992-1994 was headed by Professor Mieczysław Feld, while the Metal Working Machine and Metal Machining Department was headed by Józef Bartosiewicz, PhD, Eng, Associate Professor of Gdańsk University of Technology (1993-1993).

After both departments had been combined into Machine Technology and Manufacturing Process Automation Department, the position of the head of the department in the period of 1994-2009 was held by Włodzimierz Przybylski, PhD, Eng., Associate Professor of Gdańsk University of Technology. Professor Przybylski was entrusted with the positions of: the dean of Mechanical Technology Faculty (1987-1990), the dean of Machine Technology and Production Management Faculty (1990-1991) and the dean of Mechanical Engineering Faculty (1992-1993). He also spent two terms (1996-2002) in the office of the Vice President for the Development of Gdańsk University of Technology.  

In 2009 the position of the head of the department was taken by Professor Adam Barylski, PhD, Eng., Associate Professor of Gdańsk University of Technology – former dean of the Mechanical Engineering Faculty of Gdańsk University of Technology (2002-2008). In 2015, three scientific research and didactic teams were formed within the Machine Technology and Manufacturing Process Automation Department: Team of Manufacturing Process Planning and Automation (headed by Professor Adam Barylski, PhD, Eng.), Team of Machine Tools, Tools and Machining (headed by Professor Kazimierz Orłowski, PhD, Eng.) and Team of Quality Management and Metrology (headed by Professor Adam Boryczko, PhD, Eng., Associate Professor of Gdańsk University of Technology).